Moving Dogs to Hawaii Quarantine Shipping
Hawai’i's Animal Quarantine Law
Prohibited Animals: The regulation of animal breeds and species that are permitted to enter Hawaii is under Plant Quarantine Branch jurisdiction and administrative rules. Non-domestic dogs and cats and hybrids such as wolf, wolf cross, Dingo, Bengal, Savannah, etc are prohibited under Plant Quarantine (PQ) law. Refer to Plant Quarantine’s animal guidelines for importation.
Puppies and Kittens: Due to the minimum amount of time needed to prepare a puppy or kitten to meet the requirements of the 5-Day-Or-Less program, a puppy or kitten will be about 10 months of age by the time the preparations are completed. Puppies and kittens not able to meet all of the requirements for the 5-Day-Or-Less program will be quarantined for 120 days.
Hawaii Resident Pets: Owners wishing to leave Hawaii with their pets and return without extended quarantine must meet all requirements listed on the “Checklist Only For Resident Dogs And Cats Originating From Hawaii And Returning For The 5-Day-Or-Less Program.” The length of the waiting period after a successful rabies blood test is modified and must be completed before leaving Hawaii. See “Checklist Only For Resident Dogs And Cats Located in Hawaii that are Departing and Returning to Hawaii under the 5-Day-Or-Less Program” for details.
Re-Entry Fee Requirements: For pets re-entering Hawaii after completing a Hawaii rabies quarantine program, click here for requirements when a reduced “Re-entry” fee for Direct Airport Release or 5-Day Or-Less quarantine applies.
Direct Release on Neighbor Islands: Pets may now qualify for direct release at Kona Airport (Big Island), Kahului Airport (Maui) and Lihue Airport (Kauai). See “Checklist for Requesting Direct Airport Release at Kona, Kahului and Lihue Airports.”
Pets from Areas Exempted from Rabies Quarantine: For pets arriving from exempt areas follow Checklist for Pets Arriving from British Isles, Australia, Guam and New Zealand [Rev. 11/05]
Note for Guam: See FORMS section below for the Affidavit for Export from Guam to Hawaii.
► Information and FAQs
- Hawaii Rabies Quarantine Information Brochure [aqsbrochure.pdf, Rev. 10/09] This brochure contains important information about pre-arrival requirements, quarantine station location and contacts, procedures, policies, rules, operations and fees.
- Frequently Asked Questions [Rev. 02/08]
- Frequently Asked Questions for 5-Day-or-Less Quarantine Program [Rev. 10/09]
- Map to Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility (Honolulu International Airport)
- Direct Airport Release Security Advisory
- IMPORTANT! Pet owners are responsible for transporting all pets released from the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility (AAQHF) to their vehicles or the Interisland terminal. Airport security regulations do not permit animals to be let out of the transport crate on airport property. Pets must be picked up and loaded into a vehicle or onto a baggage cart in their transport crate. Therefore, vehicles must be large enough to accommodate the intact crate with the pet inside. There are no baggage carts or porters in the immediate vicinity of the AAQHF.Due to limitations in inter-island service on the weekend, pets arriving on Thursday or Friday may not be transferred to satellite quarantine stations and approved hospitals on the neighbor islands until the following Monday.
- Dog and Cat Import Form [AQS-278.pdf, Rev. 10/09]- One completed form per pet is required to be submitted along with all pre-arrival documents (Two Rabies Vaccination Certificates, Health Certificate, Pre-payments) NO LESS THAN 10 DAYS BEFORE PET ARRIVES IN HAWAII TO QUALIFY FOR 5-DAY-OR-LESS or AIRPORT RELEASE. If the health certificate cannot be sent 10 days before arriving with the rest of the documents, the original must be given to the inspector upon arrival in Hawaii.
- List of Approved Veterinary Hospitals [AQS-20.pdf]
- Breed Code Listing and Color Code Listing [AQS-66.pdf]
- Intermediate Handlers [Intermediate Handlers.pdf, Rev. 06/09] List of registered private individuals or organizations that may be contracted with for fee as intermediate handlers to assist in the interstate and inter-island shipping of pets.
- Summary For Veterinarians [AQS-39.pdf, Rev. 10/05] Summary for veterinarians of health certification, microchip, rabies vaccination intervals, OIE-FAVN test and waiting periods requirements of the 5-Day-Or-Less program.
|Print article||This entry was posted by Hawaii Homes on November 23, 2009 at 00:15, and is filed under Relocating. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|